The Middle East and North Africa Association of University Presidents (MENA-AUP) is founded as an independent, non-political, non- for profit, professional and academic regional association of chief executive officers from Higher Education Institutions within the Middle East and Northern African region. The Association’s primary purpose is to strengthen interaction, collaboration, dialogue and the exchange of experiences among members and to act as the regional voice of higher education.
The Association through its various platforms including conferences, seminars, meetings and forums will offer regular opportunities to identify and discuss in a global, regional and cross-cultural context latest trends, developments, issues and challenges facing higher education in the region today. It will also encourage collaborative projects and research and will be committed and dedicated to serving its members and the institutions they lead. The Association is formed with the following vision and mission and aspires at achieving seven strategic goals.
“To become a transformative influence in Higher Education in the MENA region through the provision of advocacy, collaboration, leadership and sharing of experiences.”
“ To advance Higher Education in the MENA region through establishing a dynamic network of university leaders that influences policy making, proposes and debates new and innovative ideas, addresses emerging issues and trends pertinent to quality, governance, access, technology, research and learning outcomes and promotes collaboration, community building and the sharing of experiences“
- To provide a regional network for university leaders across the region to share new thinking, exchange leadership and management experiences and promote collaboration and networking.
- To strengthen collaboration with regional and international organizations and institutions.
- To effectively contribute to the development of higher education within the region through supporting members institutions in their journey towards excellence.
- To influence policy making and provide leadership for effective policy development which will strengthen academic quality, promote access and inclusion, foster regional stewardship and economic progress, and facilitate educational innovation.
- To provide professional development opportunities for current leaders of higher education and develop strategies and approaches to nurturing new leaders who will contribute to the future of education.
- To encourage and support research and innovation in the field and ensure universities from within the region continue to be sustainable in today’s complex and competitive global environment.
- To build a community of practice where members can discuss latest developments and their implications on higher education in the region, and which continuously present and debate new ideas and innovations.