27th – 29th of November, 2017 | Novotel Deira City Center, Dubai-UAE
Today’s context for Higher Education presents student services leaders and professionals with several challenges. Externally, they have to cope with changing student demographics, emergence of new technologies, demand for greater accountability, and concerns about increasing cost of Higher Education. Internally, they are often challenged with the mission to contribute to students’ learning and personal growth, and ensure their preparedness for work and life as well as establish seamless integration and synergy with the academic and other administrative units within the institution.
A student services department is one the core administrative functions in Higher Education, and hence plays a major role in fulfilling the mission of the institution. Each of its service unit is a critical touchpoint in the student lifecycle right from pre-enrolment to alumni. To successfully fulfill this role, a student services department must adopt and adapt to the changes affecting Higher Education landscape. In light of these imperatives, the workshop is designed to facilitate and elicit answers to the following questions: How can an institution establish a student services division that is adept and responsive to change? How can student services plan and successfully apply operational excellence and innovation tools to deliver sustainable outcomes? How can student services adapt technology to facilitate access and increase its efficiency and effectiveness? How can a student services division develop student-centric culture, and synergize its efforts with other academic and administrative units to achieve common goals? What are the core competencies required for student services leaders and professionals to drive a successful and nimble student services division?
This three-day workshop will address these questions and others in an interactive way providing opportunities for the participants to share experiences and work in teams to address both internal and external challenges. The workshop will also expose participants to best practice tools, techniques and cases from institutions adopting various strategies to redefine, integrate and improve their student services.
This program is designed for leaders and professionals responsible for planning, operating and measuring the impact of student services on students’ learning and personal development experience as well as the institution’s mission and strategic goals.
Session (1): Adapting change in student services
- What are the factors affecting student services in Higher Education?
- The challenges facing student services in your institution.
- Determining the change imperatives in student services
Session (2): Setting Direction for Student Services
- A planning framework for student services
- Aligning student services with your institution’s goals
- Sharing good practices from reputable institutions of Higher Learning
Session (3): Rethinking student lifecycle
- Walking through the student lifecycle journey
- Identifying student services’ critical touch-points
- Identifying service roadblocks and developing solutions
- Aligning student experience outcomes
o Enablers to successful student learning outcomes
o An example of alignment of student services with graduate attributes
- Using quality improvement tools
- Teams’ projects
Session (4): Applying service innovations to student services
- Adapt technology solutions that are integrated and in line with an increasingly mobile student-body.
- Examples of institutions’ using technology to transform student experiences
Session (5): Managing human capital in student services
- Identifying critical job families in student services
- Assessing student services human capital readiness
Session (6): Building a culture of leadership and teamwork in student services
- Establishing effective governance and accountability
- Creating cross-functional alignment within and outside student services
- Characteristics of good leadership in student services